Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Who am I?

Who am I?


I am a rear-drive subcompact from Chevrolet. I was made from 1976 to 1987. I started out life as a 3-door hatchback but for '78 a 5-door hatchback was added. My standard engine averaged in the upper 20's mpg (under 2008 standards) but the really optional limited edition diesel engine in the early 80's pushed that number well over 30 mpg. Forget about optional equipment. I was sparcely equipped but that didn't stop nearly 2.8 million of me produced through those years (more if you count my nearly identical sister car at Pontiac from 1981 to 1987). I was about as basic as you get in a car. Oh, if you set a 3-door '76 and '87 model of me next to each other they're essentially the same (only the grille and taillights were different).


Figured it out yet?


I am the Chevette...

(79 3-door pictured)
This really was about as basic as you get. No frills and even fewer thrills. And it was still a decent car for the time period. I know that since my late grandfather had 2 ('78 & '85 3-door models) and they served him well for many years.
It's been 22 years since the last one rolled off the assembly line yet they're still around. In recent weeks, I've seen at least 3 driving around or through Midland which isn't bad at all. What this shows me is this: 1) Chevette owners are an obviously loyal group or insane group. They'd clearly have more than one of these models handy which leads to... 2) They are obviously still easy to maintain after all these years with parts readily available from their junk Chevettes within arm's reach.
Today's generation of subcompacts are generally more safe to drive, better equipped with luxury features, and get just as good or slightly better gas mileage on a front drive platform. Get them on a race track next to a quarter century old Chevette though and I think the Chevette can still teach them a thing or two.

No comments: