Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Time to try something new...

I've been following the Sudoku craze for some years now. I've seen the many variations used but what I saw today tops all that...

Called "KenKen" (not to be confused with TomTom GPS devices), it is the latest twist to Sudoku. Using the cover of the magazine pictured here, a 6 x 6 grid is created. As before, only numbers 1-6 (in this example) is used and the placement is determined by how the numbers create a math problem whose solution is shown in certain adjacent squares.

Using one of the cover's examples, one would need to find out how 3 squares added together using only 1-6 to come up with 13 and where they fit. The puzzles in the magazine start out easy and get harder the further in the book you go.
I'll keep y'all appraised as to my progress (or lack of) in this book.

By the way, if you stumble across this blog entry and your name is Ken, sorry this isn't about you. And I do know a Ken that could potentially read this entry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's something I bet you didn't know...
I was looking at that magazine picture you have on your blog. The two little kanji characters on it: one of them is kanji for miru (to see).
Want to know something else?
The title of the magazine is kenken right? Well the symbol for miru can also be pronounced ken, since kanji typically have more than one pronounciation.
So, sorry I can't help you with the other kanji, but the title of your magazine means something to do with seeing or looking.
Cool huh?