Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Floyd Church Adult Winter Retreat Part 3 - Time to Go Home

All good things must come to an end… Or how about the song I heard as a kid about having to come down from the mountaintop experience back down into the real world. Whatever the favorite way to express it eventually any good adult retreat held at the Springs must come to an end.

First up, the sun. Sunday had the only visible sunrise that weekend. Out with the camera and in search for a good spot to shoot. In previous years, I sought out the most likely spot that would have an open view of the sunrise. Sunday, I chose a spot in my own room to take pictures of the sun coming through around a bunch of branches. In other words, I chose a spot that would stretch my skills as a photographer a little further. And it worked. Some of my best sunrise photos came out of that shoot. I can honestly say this though this photo doesn't show it.

One more service to go… Sunday’s service was led by former Floyd Pastor, Jim Shanks. Pastor Shanks has been Senior Adults pastor at cross-town church Eagle Ridge Church of God for the last 15 years. But he, and his wife Maudie, still feel connected with the folks at Floyd and thus were able to join us for the whole weekend. The printed material says he talked about “sustaining relationships in our lives”. What I will walk away from that service with is the realization that Pastor Shanks actually tells funny jokes. This is the same person who my sister says she can almost predict what he says next.

We all packed our things and loaded our vehicles up for the trip home. We all had our laughs at one last meal. Then that was it. Time to leave. I purchased a new ball cap then waited until almost everyone was gone before taking leave myself.

What a beautiful place that God has given Michigan. This is a wonderful place that has a wonderful ministry, not only for the people that have retreats here but for other programs such as the annual summer camps. I look forward to coming back here as often as I can for many years to come and watch this place grow and develop.

An aerial shot of The Springs, from Yahoo Maps…


Visit The Springs website à http://www.thespringscamp.com/




No comments: