Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Beauty - a lost generation!!!

One of my facebook friends is a wife, a mother, and I believe a grandmother now. On her profile page is her profile photo that I want to use as the basis for this blog entry.

The profile photo is one of her and two of her friends as teenagers on vacation upnorth in the early 70's wearing only their bathing suits. It took me a while as to why this photo impressed me so much. It brings a much broader message to us...

I feel a whole generation has lost meaning of what it means to be beautiful.

Starting around this time period, we started the focus on our women to feel sexy (which I feel is a step beyond beautiful only).

This is an attitude that has been demonstrated by those in the media, and they have started to hype up the next stage...

The next stage beyond feeling and looking sexy is looking slutty. Gee, thanks Brittney and friends. Now a significant portion of North American young girls are looking like they are going to be ready for sex that moment.

Only as a demonstration - the teens in the profile photo are all wearing 2 piece swimsuits but the area they cover is (in some cases) significantly more than they do today. I've even seen swimsuits that only cover areas between their butt cheeks. I joke with people that they cover less area than my underwear (which has doubled at times as a swimsuit).

I'm not advocating a return to days where women wore dresses that took 2 people and six hours to put on. What I am advocating is a return of innocense to a new generation of young women who can frolic freely like the 3 young women in the 35 year old photograph in their bathing suits.

No comments: